Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bagel Time

This is my second time trying bagels this month. I'm not sure how good I am at it yet. Seems like the plain ones keep going flat and saucer like but the ones I put a topping on stayed puffy. Not sure why yet. All the recipes tell me to only let them rise for 20 minutes before I boil them but they are never risen enough yet so I leave them for 2 hours. Maybe that's why they are flat but if I don't wait that long I'd have little bagels. I'll keep working on this one. Not everything comes out perfect the first time (or second). So as you can see they rise just fine, this was about half way through the rise time.

Then they boiled up great too. The recipe I tried this time said a total of 7 minutes boiling, the last one said 3 minutes, I think it made them softer.

I put slug slime (some crazy mix of toppings from a bagel shop near Humboldt or Arcadia. I will have to find out again but Oma brought some over for us to use.

The plain ones look a little flat.....but the topped ones are perfect. Also the bottoms got a bit too crunchy on the plains, I even pulled them out a little early.

I had to bake them on the bottom racked because I had 2 quiches baking on the top rack so that might account for the crispier bottoms. It was 375 degrees for 30 minutes. They came out at 27 minutes.



































Yum yum close up.

No comments:

Post a Comment