Monday, March 25, 2013

100% Sprouted Grain Bread Recipe #1


First I sprouted the following grains: wheat, barley, millet & spelt. Once all sprouted and combined they looked like this:


 Next I used my my champion juicer with the blank screen in to grind it to a pulp and activate the gluten.

I mixed about 1 TBSP. malted barley and 1TBSP yeast in my kitchen aid mixer with a touch of warm water to bubble for about 5 minutes. Then added the ground sprout mixture and used the mixer to bring it together. I put it in an oiled bowl to rise covered with plastic for about 2 hours. It rose a little. See note about skipping this rising step next time.

After the 2 hours I folded it over itself 2 times and rolled into a semi log shape gently and pressed it into the oil bread pan. Please not that this was a mistake. It should have gone directly into the loaf pans to rise and then bake.

 I baked it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes and this was not enough! I put it back in the oven at 275 degrees for 2 hours. This is how it looked before I put it back in for the second round of baking.
So it cooked up well, it was just a very dense little brick. I had to let it set up in the fridge for 2 days to get make it edible, otherwise it was too wet and gummy inside. I figured once I'm using wheat berries I might as well add some whole wheat flour next time and vital wheat gluten too. I don't like brick bread although it tasted delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment