Thursday, March 31, 2011

even more perfect wonderful whole wheat fluffy sandwich loaf

I really didn't think my bread could get any more perfect than it already was but low and behold these beauties are amazing!

Can you see how light and fluffy! It is so soft and delicious and sweet and oh so perfect. What did I change you ask? Well I ran out of oats. Never thought the oats where drying the bread out so much but hey, each trial teaches you something new! So I replaced the 1 cup oats with a 1/2-2/3 cup unbleached white flour. I also finally bought honey! So 1/4 cup honey and still kept the 2Tbsps of white sugar to give it that sweet yummie bread flavor I was looking for. Then I also painted the tops with honey before baking. Now I could have gone without that because my hands are so sticky from each time I hold the bread to cut it. I also keep it wrapped up in plastic which makes it a little stickier! (haha!) So here is the orignal recipe. And here the new one with adjustments made for this round! ROUND 6!

Yield: 2 loaves
Ingredients:

2 tablespoons active dry yeast

2 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)

2 tablespoons milk 2 tablespoons oil

4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup honey

2 Tbsp White Sugar

4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten (Bob's Red Mill is what I used)

2.5 cups all-purpose flour

3 cups whole wheat flour

Instructions:

1. Combine first 2 ingredients with a pinch of sugar and let proof for 5 minutes. I did this in the measuring cup so that I could put the next 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir while waiting for the proof. Once bubbly and fluffy add the yeast mix to the mixing bowl and stir.


2. Add flours, vital wheat gluten and salt and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. I do this in my kitehenaid mixer. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes to 1.5 hours.


3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into two loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans and cover. Let rise in a warm place until it is the size you would like your loaf to be once baked. It will not rise in the oven, maybe a little, so don't put it in the oven until you like how it looks. I painted the top with warm honey and then you can sprinkle all kinds of oats or seeds or anything on top that would like to make it pretty. I left everything off because then I have to sweep the floor even more often.


4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon cover it with some foil. My loaves were perfect after 30 minutes. Very soft and tend but almost hard and hollow when knocked on.


5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. I removed it to a wire rack to cool. Slice and enjoy while still warm or wait until cooler so that your bread slices nicely! (click here for a little bread slicing tutorial) Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try your recipe! I made some wonderful white loaves, but I need wheat for sandwiches. I also just made a peanut butter and nut sweetbread, a table bread that is to die for, and I made baguettes! Woot! You got me making 1-7 loaves a week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete